Friday, June 1, 2012

How Do You Find Your Heart?



People say stuff like "listen to your heart" and "follow your heart."  But we know from experience that listening to your head helps, too.  It is the head that comprehends the heart.  And it asks, what the heck is the heart?  Where do I begin to find it?  The person who told me to follow my heart is not here with me helping me find it.

The heart is most definitely a quiet place though it can be packed with secret music.  We usually find it upon quiet reflection, the gathering of evidences as to who we really are, what we really love, what we really want to do.  I know what it's like to be completely disconnected from your heart, to be terrified of its passion and spontanaity and truth.  Discovering one layer yet alone all the layers of complexities in your heart takes time.  But the heart helps you find itself.  As long as you have the desire to know it, it will make itself known if you are persistant and patient. 



Here are some steps that I have found useful in reconnecting with my heart.     

1. Observing when I am happiest.  What are the beverages, the locations, sceneries, pieces of music, colors, textures, ideas, acticities that exhilerate me? 

2. What do you do when you're waiting for something else to do?  This is usually what you're intersted in.  For me, it's journaling, note-taking, scheduling.  I find myself with a pen. 

3. What do you feel guilty for?  If you've picked up a nasty belief about yourself somehwere, the heart is usually the first place you reject.  If there's something you love doing so much that you think it must be bad, maybe it's actually the best thing for you.

4. Listen.  Is there a small voice saying something in your chest?  Is there energy?  Is there ache?  Is there something you think of over and over again, something you've been ignoring? 


No comments:

Post a Comment